Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Lovin' Spoonful

Dad pulled this one out, one sunny summer afternoon in 1979, and played "Summer In The City"...wow, what a song that was! Very unusual structure, chord changes, the breakdowns, sound effects--I loved it immediately. And then a nice little pile of non-stop cool songs on the other side of the album: "Daydream", "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice", "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind" and "Do You Believe In Magic?". I liked what I was hearing, although I was transfixed by the image on the cover: four figures made of either clay or papier-mache. I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be; I thought it was some sort of teacher sitting on the stool with his students behind him. This wasn't exactly my first taste. Back at the Blue House, A K-tel album called Hit Machine was around, and one of the cuts was John Sebastian's "Welcome Back". Flash forward to the summer of 2012, after hearing about the passings of Epstein and Horshack from Welcome Back, Kotter, I played the song on YouTube, and Geoffrey loved it (and still does!). I got to thinking of the old Spoonful album of Dad's, and how much fun I had listening to it, so I played him the same cuts for him before a nap...and he loved it! And now it's one of his most-requested things to listen to!

No comments: