Thursday, September 5, 2013

The J. Geils Band

Although I'd heard these guys at the White house, this is where we started spinning their albums with some regularity, what with all of the partying and fun times going on. The Bloodshot album drew me in right away, with it being pressed on red vinyl...now that was something to see! Dad played "Give It To Me", and I was hooked right away...great organ solo in there. Looking at the cover, seeing these guys with their long hair, beards and 'fros, I thought they looked so cool. Now, I look at the cover pics, and think to myself that they had the whole "pimp" and "bling-bling" thing down years before any rappers ever thought of it; just check out Peter Wolf's dollar-sign necklace. This was another powerhouse album, with some killer bluesy jams, and the baddest harmonica-driven tune in the world, "Whammer Jammer". They were still going strong at this point, although the music was very different to what I'd just been hearing. It still sort of sounded like them, but way more in the pop vein than ever before. We began to see the video for "Love Stinks" on PopClips and occasionally on Showtime, and we thought it was on of the funniest things we'd ever seen. In the first grade, when the Freeze-Frame album was all the rage, Dad got this jersey for me, most likely through the Columbia House catalog. Unlike other T-shirts he had gotten me through them, this one didn't shrink or lose its designs after a couple of washings. I wore this for a few years, until I eventually grew out of it, but I always kept it, and I still have it to this day. I can't wait for the day that Geoffrey will be able to wear it.

No comments: