Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Beatles (i)

It's hard to pinpoint exactly the very first moment I heard these guys, but I know it was spread over various points in 1979, and I was completely blown away each time. Geoffrey is totally into these guys at the moment, so I think I know what he's enjoying. This was definitely one of the first starting points. All I know is that I heard the first side of this album and went "Whoa....!". This was definitely something exciting, energetic and fun; "It Won't Be Long" really stuck out, and remains one of my all-time favorites. I remember noting how cool how they all sort of looked alike, wore the same clothes, and had the same haircuts. This one appeared in the album collection sometime not long afterwards, and it was more of the same fun, only there was so much more to hear and discover. "She Loves You" was pure dynamite, and istantly became one of my favorites. Oddly enough, I remember my mom playing the whole thing almost in one sitting. A great starting point, but the thing that is rather annoying about this collection now is that there is nothing from George on it. Did you ever notice that? This was another one that appeared suddenly. I was transfixed on the spot while hearing this one. I couldn't believe the nonstop ocean of screams that went on and on throughout the album. And a lot of my favorites were played on this one, so I was happy with that! Dad played the whole thing one summer morning, and all of a sudden, things got really interesting. A whole new sound and direction had opened up with this album. "Taxman" was (and is) a killer opening, "Love You To" took me away to a whole new place altogether, "Tomorrow Never Knows" was from another dimension, and--you guessed it--"Yellow Submarine" was definitely a trip I wanted to go on. I remember Angie and I playing on the tire-swing at the McCarver school playground, singing this one, but also coloring the submarine blue, orange, red, green, and any other color we could think of. Okay, now, this was something else altogether. Dad pulled this one out sometime towards the winter of that year, and I wasn't sure what to expect from the Technicolor-hued album, and the guys in marching uniforms, and with matching little mustaches. He put it on, and it sounded as if they were playing in some kind of auditorium in front of people. The words and sounds coming out made it hard to believe that this was the same group of guys who were just singing "Do You Want To Know A Secret?". Dad played the entire album even through dinner, and I don't think I ate much of it as I couldn't take my ears off the stereo. When the final orchestral buildup and final chord of "A Day In The Life" happened, I just sat there stunned as the needle lifted up off the record and it was over.

No comments: